Monday, May 3, 2010

Welded to the office chair and crochet flower patterns

With April finishing on a very wet note, all things green and planty are shooting up in the garden and I just know that very shortly I will be attached to my hoe and wading up and down the lines of seeds trying valiantly to do battle with the weeds.

Until then I am welded to my office chair and finally getting around to re-opening my etsy shop and doing a bit of updating and tidying up of my listings.

I have realised that I need a model to get the latest refashions and bags photographed and for that will have to wait until my daughter is free and not buried under a mound of homework.

In the meantime along with uploading photos and editing descriptions etc etc, I have been messing about with a ball of cotton and a crochet hook.

I love to crochet and learnt as a child, but in the intervening adult years I found various other pursuits more to my taste, namely bikes, cars and boys - but this is not a story of my misspent youth - in recent times I have picked up my crochet hook more and more frequently, and whilst my amibitions are still very modest I have found that I don't need to go back right to the beginning and relearn single and double stitches every time I want to make something.



Over the last 24 hours I have crocheted a veritable garden of flowers ready to be sewn to an upcycled garment or to be part of another bag design - only problem is now that I have started I can't seem to stop.........



I am starting the flowers with a chain (ch) of 4 then joining together with a slipped stitch (slst).

Into the loop double chain (dc) 20 times, then single chain (sc) into every stitch.

From there it all goes a bit mad and a bit random, some flowers I have continued as follows:

Round 3 - ch 1, sc into next stitch, ch1, sc, contune all the way around
Round 4 - ch3, sc into next stitch, ch 3, sc, continue all the way around
Round 5 - chain 3, dc 3 times into the chained loop of the previous round, sc, ch3, 3dc into loop, sc, and continue into every loop all the way around to create a ruffled flower.

Another varaion: 
Round 1 - chain 4, join together, crochet 20 dc into the loop 
Round 2 - chain 1, sc around, join to first sc
Round 3 - chain 1, sc in same stitch, *skip 1 stitch, 7 dc in the next stitch, skip 1 stitch, sc in next stitch* repeat 4 more times to create five petals

Yet another variation:
Round 1 -  ch 3 ( counts as 1 dc), work into the ring 1 dc, *6 ch, 3 dc*, repeat from * to * 5 times, 6 ch, 1 dc, join with a slip stitch in the 3 rd ch of the ch-3 worked in the beginning of the round
Round 2: * chain 1, work (1 sc, 7 dc, 1 sc ) all into the chain arch, chain 1, skip 1 dc, slip stitch in next dc*, repeat from * to * throughout the round

I am using the same 50g ball of 100% pure cotton in a variagated dye so the flowers change colour by themselves as you go along.










Posted by Picasa

No comments: