Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Red White and Green pasta sauce

With a rotten cold bringing me down at the moment, I felt the need for some comfort food on Tuesday, and this my adaptation of a lovely recipe from the River Cafe Cookbook. 

The added benefit of all the chilli helps clear my sinuses.

I serve this usually with some freshly made tagliatelle. 

Fry a fresh red chilli with 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped in some olive oil for a couple of minutes. 
Add some chicken or turkey breast cut into small pieces and fry until the meat takes on some colour.
Add some green - either broccoli or french beans, I throw in whatever is to hand in the freezer, pour over just enough water to cover, add a stock cube and cover the pan and leave to cook until the veg is tender.
Then either pour over some double cream, or add some creme fraiche, to thicken the stock sauce. 

Add the cooked pasta to the sauce, stir over a couple of times and serve.

You need the cream to smooth the bite of the chilli - this dish is supposed to be quite hot.  When I taste test it, I like it be just on the edge of being too hot, because the pasta makes it 'milder'.

No comments: