Saturday, February 6, 2010

Friday night - curry night - Indian Nan Bread recipe

Having got ahead of the game on Thursday with the curry, that just left me with the nan breads to prepare.

I make my dough up about an hour before I want to eat, and cook them fresh, so they are hot for dipping in the curry sauce.

Basic nan bread:

225g plain white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tblsp oil - type does not matter, I tend to use olive oil for everything
2 tblsp natural yoghurt
1 beaten egg


I use fresh dried yeast, 15g reactivated in 4 tablespoons of luke warm milk, and a teaspoon of sugar.  If you use a sachet of yeast that does not require activating, add the milk to the dough mix otherwise it will be too dry to stick together.

At this point you can add any flavours you like,  I use a bit of dried garlic powder, paprika and some dried rosemary, but have also used caraway seeds, fresh coriander, and parsely.

Sift the flour and combine all the ingredients together in a bowl until it forms a very light and very soft dough, then knead on a floured surface for about 10 mins until the dough is very smooth and elastic.

Cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise for at least 45 minutes (enough time to greet my guests, pour some drinks, cook the rice, and add some more fresh chillies to my curry), the dough should double in size. 


When ready to bake the nan breads, I don't squash the risen dough too much otherwise the breads will be a bit heavy. 

Cut a small portion of the dough, and with floured hands form a small ball, push flat - or for larger traditionally shaped nan breads, cut into three, and roll out, then pull gently at one end to make the teardrop shape.


Preheat the oven to 230C / 450F / Gas 8, and place some baking sheets in the oven.  When hot, pop the nan breads on the baking sheets in the oven for about 3 or 4 minutes until they rise, then you can brown them under the grill, brush with a bit of melted butter if you like.


I prefer to cook my nan breads directly on the hot plate of my Rayburn - take some aluminium foil, and spread it on the hot plate, brush with some butter or oil, take the dough and pop onto the foil, leave for a couple of minutes and flip over to cook the other side. 

Enjoy.

No comments: