Tuesday, January 26, 2010

If I knew you were coming .......


........... I'd have baked a cake.

Last summer in a fit of domestic goddess insanity I did a swap for some cake tins, then put them to the back of the cupboard for six months and desperately tried to forget I had them.

Whilst I am now in a culinary place mentally where I can whip up a quiche or a pizza or a savoury tartlet without thinking, when it comes to flour and sugar - well for me it is like trying to mix oil and water - they just don't go.

But my friend and neighbour bullied - and I do mean bullied - me into dragging them out of the cupboard. She found me a set of simple recipes and sent me forth on my mission for today - to make a cake.

Say hello to:
Gateau de pommes a la noix de coco - or - Apple cake with coconut

For the base: mix 200g plain flour, with 8 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 12 tablespoons of milk, 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon baking powder, pour into a tin that has been lined with baking parchment or well buttered to stop it from sticking.

Peel and cut 3 apples into thin slices and layer, pushing the slices well into the mix.

Bake at 210 C for 20 minutes.

For the topping: mix together 100g of melted butter, 1 egg, 100g of caster sugar, 100g of dessicated coconut then spread while the butter is still soft over the baked base, and put back into the oven for another 10 minutes to finish cooking.

Sprinkle with some more dessicated coconut to finish.

Just waiting for it to cool down enough to sample now - will let you know whether it is a success or not.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: